Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Apparel workers happy with high wages under new structure

imagesThe apparel workers have become delighted by receiving increased wages under the newly-declared structure set by the government as the apparel makers have started implementing the wage structure with effect from December 1, 2013.

“I drew Tk 5,300 as the wages for December, 2013. I used to get Tk 3,000 before declaration of the new wage structure???, said Mamun, an Assistant Operator of The Rose Dresses Limited owned by BGMEA President Md Atiqul Islam.

“My joy knows no bound as I now enjoy a 76 percent hike in my wage. This will help me lead a comfortable life with my three-member family. Thanks goes to the government for declaring the wage structure and also the apparel owners for implementing it???, he conveyed.

Not only Mamun, many apparel  workers expressed satisfaction after withdrawing wages for the month of December under the new structure.

Following the recommendation of the wage board, the Ministry of Labor and Employment had declared the new wage structure hiking the wages of the apparel makers by 76 percent on December 5 last and asked the apparel makers to implement it from December 1, 2013.

BGMEA sources said that 75 percent factories of its members have been able to pay the wages as per the new structure. The remaining 25 percent, though paid the wages of the month of December, did not follow the new structure.

Mohammad Anis, General Operator of Envoy Fashion, a sister concern of Envoy Group owned by Abdus Salam Murshedy, Chairman of Exporters Association of Bangladesh and former president of BGMEA while talking to this correspondent said that he withdrew Tk 5,678 as the wages for the month of December. Expressing satisfaction over the hiked wages, Anis said that he has been waiting for such a hike to maintain a better life for his four-member family living in Natore.

Sohel Rana, employed at a apparel factory of Ha Meem Group while talking to this correspondent said that after withdrawing wages in this month he had bought two Saris for his mother who lives in Matlob upazila in Chandpor district.

When many apparel workers expressed satisfaction and joy over the new wage structure, many others, however, expressed dissatisfaction over faulty execution of the structure.

Khadija Akter, General Operator of Star Apparel while talking to this correspondent said that the factory owners paid their wages for the month of December under the new structures but they deducted the lunch bill from the gross salaries. “As a result I did not enjoy any benefit of new wage structure???, she lamented.

Amid mixed reaction of many of the apparel workers, several others are yet to get the wages for the month of December till Monday.

Arshad Jamal Dipu, Director of Bangladesh Apparel Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) said that 75 percent factories paid the wages for the month of December under the new structure. Arshad who was also the owners’ representative of the wage board said that it would take time to make the wage structure implemented by all the factory owners.

Sirajul Islam Rony, President of the Bangladesh National Apparels Workers Employees League, who was also the member of the wage board said that almost 50 percent apparel factory owners paid the wages under the new structure.

He also complained that some confusions over the gradation of the wage structure aroused and called upon the apparel makers to solve it immediately.

———————-

Report: Rahat Rafe

Source: Daily Sun

Share This Post